MACHAME ROUTE 7 DAY known as the “Whiskey” route, begins at Machame Gate, located in the southern base of Mount Kilimanjaro, within its green, abundant rainforest. We climb to the Shira Plateau, then traverse the mountain beneath Kilimanjaro’s Southern Icefield, before summiting from Barafu Hut. Machame 9 Day route is recommended because it provides an additional acclimatization day and shortens some of the daily hikes. The total time on the mountain is 7 days.
Our trip begins and ends at our lodge in Arusha, Tanzania. Clients may arrive at any time on day 1. There is a pre-trip meeting around 4:30 pm and the included dinner is served at 6:30 pm.
DAY 1: ARRIVE IN TANZANIA.
Arrive at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO), we will use our private transfer from the Airport to Arusha Safari Lodge. We will gather in the evening for a pre-climb briefing and an equipment check. We will also confirm you have the appropriate mandatory medical coverage and travel insurance.
Dinner and overnight at Arusha Safari Lodge: Bed, dinner and Breakfast-included.
DAY 2: MACHAME GATE TO MACHAME HUT (FULL BOARD)
After completing the necessary registration formalities at Machame National Parkgate, we begin to trek through a beautiful and lush forest. We have a picnic lunch en route. We camp at Machame Camp (9,800 ft). [5-6 hours walking]
DAY 3: MACHAME CAMP TO SHIRA CAMP (FULL BOARD)
We soon leave the forest behind and enter the moorland zone of giant heather. The trail climbs steadily through rocky hills with wide views of the Shira Plateau (11,000 ft). From our camp near Shira Hut (12,600 ft), we take in the unforgettable views of Mt. Meru as she floats among the clouds. [4-5 hours walking]
DAY 4: SHIRA CAMP TO BARRANCO VALLEY (FULL BOARD)
A morning of sustained ascent and panoramic views brings us to lunch near Lava Tower (14,900 ft). The trail then descends to the bottom of the Barranco Valley (12,800 ft), where we stay in the spectacular Barranco Camp sheltered by towering cliffs and with extensive views of the plains far below. [7-9 hours walking]
DAY 5: BARRANCO CAMP TO KARANGA CAMP (FULL BOARD)
A steep climb up the Barranco Wall leads us to an undulating trail on the south-eastern flank of Kibo, with superb vistas of the Southern Icefields. The terrain changes to scree, with pockets of lush vegetation in sheltered hollows, and there is only a short distance to our camp at Karanga Camp (13,100 ft), the last water point on the approach to the summit. [5-7 hours walking]
DAY 6: KARANGA CAMP TO BARAFU CAMP (FULL BOARD)
We follow an easy path on compacted scree with wide views that gains altitude unrelentingly to reach Barafu Hut (14,800 ft) for lunch. There is a short acclimatization hike to the plateau at the bottom of the southeast valley (15,700 ft). The remainder of the day is spent resting in preparation for the early morning final ascent. [3-5 hours walking]
DAY 7: BARAFU CAMP TO SUMMIT TO MWEKA CAMP (FULL BOARD)
We start our ascent by torchlight about 1 a.m. so that we can be up on the crater rim by sunrise. The steep climb over loose volcanic scree has some well-graded zig-zags and a slow but steady pace will take us to Stella Point (18,800 ft), in about five or six hours. We will rest there for a short time to enjoy the sunrise over Mawenzi. Those who are still feeling strong can make the two-hour round trip from here along the crater rim to Uhuru Peak (19,345 ft), passing close to the spectacular glaciers and ice cliffs that still occupy most of the summit area. The descent to Barafu is surprisingly fast, and after some refreshments, we continue to descend to reach our final campsite, Millenium Camp (12,500 ft). [11-15 hours walking]
DAY 8: MWEKA CAMP TO MWEKA GATE TO ARUSHA (HALF BOARD)
A sustained descent on a well-constructed path takes us through a lovely tropical forest alive with birdsong and boasting lush undergrowth with considerable botanical interest. Our route winds down to the Kilimanjaro National Park gate at Mweka (5,400 ft); and on through coffee and banana farms to Mweka village, where we are transferred to our lodging in Arusha.
[4-6 hours walking]
Dinner and overnight at Arusha Safari Lodge: Bed, dinner and Breakfast-included.
DAY 9 DEPARTING DAY:
After saying bye to our team of guides then you need a private departure transfer which is included from Arusha to Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) for your flight unless you have an option to have a short safari or any other option we will discuss.
TREKKING KILIMANJARO FOR CHARITY CHALLENGE?
The above climb can be undertaken for your own personal charity or group charity.
OUR STANDARD PACKAGE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
• Tanzania VAT on tourism activities and park fees
• Return transfers Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha and Arusha to Kilimanjaro airport
• Hotel Lodging the night before and the night after the climb, with dinner and breakfast included (double occupancy)
• with bed dinner and breakfast
• Transfer from your hotel to starting point for your climb, and return to your hotel after your climb
• Large portions of fresh, healthy, nutritious food
• All Kilimanjaro National Park gate fees, camping fees, and climbing permits.
• Kilimanjaro National Park rescue fees (Kilimanjaro Rescue Team)
• Emergency oxygen (for use in emergencies only – not as summiting aid)
• Basic first aid kit (for use in emergencies only)
• Qualified mountain guide, assistant guides, porters and cook
• Salaries for mountain crew as per guidelines set by Kilimanjaro National Park
• Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as hot drinks on the mountain
• Camping equipment (tents, camp chairs, tables & sleeping mattress
• Water for washing up daily
• Porter to carry your duffel bag (max weight 15kg / 32 lbs) from one camp to the next camp.
• Kilimanjaro National Park certificate for your successful summit attempt
• A comprehensive Climbing Kilimanjaro travel info pack
• Flying Doctor Service
EXCLUDED FROM ABOVE PACKAGE RATES:
• Flights and airport taxes
• Items of a personal nature
• Compulsory tips for guides, porters and cook (average tip is anything from US $ 230 to US $ 300 per hiker – depending on the number of days / how many hikers in the group and route chosen)
• South African passport holders do NOT require a visa for Tanzania, however, most other Nationalities require a visa for Tanzania
• Health requirements (Yellow Fever compulsory if traveling to Tanzania recommended)
• Highly recommended travel and medical insurance.
• Personal hiking/trekking gear – we can rent some of the gear from our equipment store in Tanzania
• Optional but highly recommended Portable toilet
• Snacks, personal medicine, and water purifying tablets
• Meals & drinks not specified and snacks
• Tips and any items of personal nature.
EXCLUS DES TARIFS CI-DESSUS:
• Vols et taxes d'aéroport
• Articles de nature personnelle
• Pourboires obligatoires pour les guides, les porteurs et les cuisiniers (le pourboire moyen varie de 230 USD à 300 USD par randonneur - en fonction du nombre de jours / du nombre de randonneurs dans le groupe et de l'itinéraire choisi)
• Les détenteurs de passeports sud-africains NE nécessitent PAS de visa pour la Tanzanie. Cependant, la plupart des autres nationalités exigent un visa pour la Tanzanie.
• Exigences sanitaires (fièvre jaune obligatoire si vous voyagez en Tanzanie est recommandé)
• Assurance voyage et médicale fortement recommandée.
• Matériel de randonnée / trekking personnel - nous pouvons louer une partie du matériel dans notre magasin d’équipement en Tanzanie
• Toilette mobile facultative mais fortement recommandée
• Collations, médicaments personnels et comprimés d’épuration de l’eau
• Repas et boissons non spécifiés et collations
• Les pourboires et tout élément de nature personnelle.
Arusha at Kalama Lodge
Mount Kilimanjaro Climb and African Safari Specialists.
Kilipeak Adventure specialized in tailor-made and custom-made tour programs. Our team of experts is experienced in arranging and planning wildlife safaris, special trips for couples, family, honeymoons and professional groups. We can take you to see world famous icons like Mount Kilimanjaro, Mount Meru, Serengeti Animal Migration, Ngorongoro Crater, Zanzibar beaches for relaxation and visit Tanzania local people where you will learn local cultures,
Also, we offer Budget Camping Safaris, Luxury Lodge Safaris, Walking Safaris, Culture Tour, Balloon Safari.
Welcome and enjoy your visit.
“When it comes to Mount Kilimanjaro Climbing and African safaris, nobody does it better than Kilipeak Adventure”